Why are these bugs causing emergency measure?
The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB) is an exotic pest of biosecurity concern to Australia's and New Zealand's agriculture industry as they feed on and severely damage fruit and crops.
The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
If you are exporting from US your cargo must be:
- Treated prior to shipping
- Accompanied by a certification of efficacy outlining the treatment completed
- Your cargo will be subject to on-arrival inspection as determined by the department
When does this come into effect?
- As of Monday, 23 February 2015, high risk cargo arriving in Australia/New Zealand from United States East Coast ports will require offshore treatment.
- This requirement will be extended to all US ports for cargo arriving in Australia/New Zealand from March 9, 2015, onwards.
The department is monitoring the interception data and will reassess if there is a need to expand these emergency measures.LIST ALL NEWS ARTICLES